The Jewish cemetery in Krasnystaw is currently a part of a forest plot owned by the local municipality forest service. The cemetery area is unfenced and overgrown with dense vegetation. Power lines (installed after World War II) run through it.
Generous donors led by Helene Goldberger have already contributed some funds through the Foundation of Jewish Charities. FJHP is honored to keep the torch of effort going by taking on the fund-raising and work task in partnership with Ms. Goldberger and the donors.
Plans for this project include identifying highest priority goals for future work, potentially including: 1) Determining the exact cemetery boundaries; 2) Cleaning the cemetery; 3) Erecting a dedication plaque; 4) Restoring tombstones; and 5) Erecting a fence.
According to the Virtual Sztetl database and work by Krzystof Bielawski, the cemetery was established in the second half of the 19th century. It is situated on the road from Krasnystaw to Chełm (Rejowiecka Street), next to the Borek forest. The last known burial in the cemetery took place in 1943. During World War II, Germans devastated the cemetery. About 10 tombstones have survived on the area of about 1.2 acres. On some, typical decorations and inscriptions in Hebrew remain visible.